Friday, March 23, 2012

Anlon is almost 20 months old!!!

I've intended to write this post for over a month and for some reason I've been putting it off. The past weeks have had their challenges and I am very tired. But there's no good reason not to share some of our memories of this very special time.

Anlon is 3 days away from being 20 months old and the best word to describe him is joyful. Actually, this has always been the best word to describe him. He just loves life. He especially loves people and is very comfortable in a crowd. Whenever we're out and he's walking around, he always goes up to people to say hello. Well, he doesn't actually say hello - he smiles and makes a sound to get their attention if they don't initially notice him. He doesn't yet understand that it's not polite to interrupt conversations :) He often pats their arm or leg before he walks away, only to go right back to them. He especially loves women, young and old.

Although Anlon took his first steps back in October, he preferred to crawl up until the week of Christmas/New Year's. And over the last month, he's started running! Vipul and I joke that we need more space (which we actually do) because when we're somewhere with a wide open area, he is SO excited and won't stay still for more than a minute. A few weeks ago we went to an art festival downtown with friends and Vipul and I took turns following him around.
Anlon has decided that he's ready to talk!!! It seems the speech therapy he's been receiving over the last 2 months is paying off. A couple of weeks ago, we were having face time with Vipul's parents and Vipul told him to say bye-bye and he did, very clearly! Then the next day I was telling him a little rhyme about how God made everything and he said "God" multiple times!! And Vipul was giving him crackers and encouraging him to say "cracker" and he said "cacker"! The next day Vipul got him to say "cookie"! He's been saying "Mama" and "Gaghee" (Daddy) for awhile now, and he said "Nana" a few times the last time my mom was here, but otherwise had just been making lots of consonant sounds. So these new words are music to our ears!!!

In addition to speech therapy, Anlon started occupational therapy one month ago to help with some fine motor skill delay. The progress he has made in the last 4 weeks has been incredible. He really loves his time with our therapist Janet and we are doing a lot of things at home too. It is so wonderful to see him acquiring new skills and playing more appropriately with toys. He still enjoys books, although his interest isn't quite what it used to be since he mastered walking. We used to be able to sit and read up to 8 books in one sitting. But now before bed is usually the only time he's willing to sit while we read (otherwise he stands while we read) and he doesn't want to read more than 1-2 books at a time. But we know his love of reading is well rooted and he just wants to be on the move right now.
Anlon LOVES to be outside! He enjoys going on walks (he still is very happy in the stroller!), going to the park and playing in our courtyard. He also loves water and now that the weather is warmer, we've been taking full advantage of Florida living.
Two weeks ago, Anlon weighed 21 lbs 4 oz, putting his weight at the 3rd% for his age! He has not been at the 3rd% since he was 4 months old!!! To say that we have had feeding issues is an understatement. But God has brought us through so much and although Anlon may always be a picky eater (I hope he's not), he does enjoy eating things that he likes. And over the past month and a half, he has been feeding himself and loving it! We still have to handle a spoon or fork, but he feeds himself anything he can pick up with his hands. I have learned to get creative at mealtime - sometimes we read, sometimes his buddy Scout eats with him and recently I've been putting pieces of food on his cars and trucks. His tastes change from week to week. For example, a couple of weeks ago he devoured an entire avocado for dinner. But he has refused avocado since then. His most consistent food preferences right now are sausage, cheese, raisins, dried blueberries and Earth's Best Oatmeal Cinnamon cookies. 
He continues on Prevacid for silent reflux and an appetite stimulant. I have wondered for some time if he might have delayed gastric emptying, which would explain why he hasn't outgrown the reflux and has a decreased appetite without the help of medication. So we're having a study done next week to see if this is the case. God so clearly provided an answer when He revealed Anlon's silent reflux and I'm confident He will do the same this time.

I didn't plan to still be nursing him at this age, but I've certainly learned through motherhood that sometimes my plans differ from what actually ends up being best for our situation. With Anlon's eating struggles, nursing has been the one thing that has been easy. It is such a comfort to him, especially through teething. I am praying that he decides to wean himself when he is ready so it will be a natural transition rather than something forced. 

Although Anlon is almost always on the go, he still loves to be rocked and cuddled, especially when he's tired or not feeling well due to teething.
And after bath time, he really enjoys (well, most of the time unless he's overtired) me giving him a massage while Vipul sings to him. Vipul usually sings one of Andrew Peterson's songs. One of Anlon's favorites is Caanan Bound.
Anlon is extremely inquisitive and loves to explore everything within his reach (and I'm amazed at how much is within his reach!). And he makes us laugh all of the time - he really has a wonderfully funny personality!
He also enjoys watching Vipul and I do certain things, like make coffee in the morning. When he sees that I'm beginning to put the coffee maker parts together, he reaches to be picked up so he can watch each step. The part he especially likes is when I count the scoops of beans as I put them into the grinder. He smiles SO big as we count!

There truly is not a day that goes by that I don't thank God for entrusting us with the care of this little boy.
  
Dear Anlon,

One day you will be reading this and likely won't remember this time in your life. But I always will. You bring so much joy to your Daddy and me. Each day I come closer to understanding the depth of love Jesus has for His children. You are perfect in my eyes  Buggy - not because you are without sin, but because you could never do anything to change my love for you. I look forward to watching you grow into the man God has created you to be for His glory. For now, I'm holding you tight and cherishing these moments with you in my arms.

Love,
Mama



5 comments:

Carolina said...

What a thoughtful post, and I had a few tears as I was reading your letter to him. How priceless! I am so happy at all the progress he has been making just in the last few months and I know it hasn't been an easy road navigating through all of it. He is indeed a very blessed little boy to have you as parents and I can't wait to watch him grow up! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to read this! What a great update from our last phone call, too. I'm glad you were able to make the photos bigger as well. :) The one of Vipul snuggling Anlon is so sweet. They both have a romantic, sleepy look going on. I don't know how you handle all that cuteness everyday. :) God is writing such a beautiful story in Anlon's life - His glory shines all over your words here and in the journey He has you and Vipul on as his parents. I'm so thankful for the progress Anlon is making and I trust too that God will provide answers to the other questions you have. Praise God for Janet, too, that God is giving her the wisdom to help Anlon and that you are comfortable with her. I love how you said in your letter, "You are perfect in my eyes Buggy." What a picture of God's love. Oh how many times God has had to go out of His way to help me or grow me or strengthen me, but because of His love, I am worthy of His love and none of that matters anymore. Beautiful, Kindra!

Kindra said...

Thanks so much Carolina. You are a huge encouragement to me. God always speaks to me through our conversations and I'm very thankful for you.

Kindra said...

Thanks for your kind and encouraging words Chrissy. Your comments are always so thoughtful and uplifting. You bless me so much dear friend.